Sleep experts say that many adults encounter sleep disorders. Most of the time, those sleep disorders meet the criteria of insomnia. People who experience sleep disorders get less sleep, frequently wake during the night, and have reduced energy levels during the day.
An extended period without sleep affects mood and behavior. At the same time, it also affects the mental and physical condition. Stress and anxiety are some of the biggest triggers for sleep disorders.
If you suffer from sleep disorders, sometimes overthinking and overanalyzing triggers these disorders. The best way to improve your sleep and establish healthy sleep patterns is to find an activity that will help you reduce stress before bedtime.
It may sound surprising, but one of the best activities to achieve a better sleep quality is coloring. It is an activity intended for all ages. It helps you relax and be in a more meditative mindset, which would help you sleep better.
What Happens When You Sleep?
During the night, the human body produces Melatonin, according to the Sleep Foundation. It is a hormone created by the pineal gland that facilitates falling asleep and enables a sounder sleep. Melatonin secretion decreases over the years and begins to decline in a person’s forties.
For this reason, the elderly often have a problem with insomnia. To stimulate the production of Melatonin, go to bed a little earlier. Make sure to put aside cell phones, tablets, or laptops before bedtime. We recommend giving yourself 1 hour before bedtime to color. Coloring improves tallows the brain to ease tension and stress in a relaxing and creative way.
The relaxation provided by coloring books lowers the amygdala’s activity. It is the part of our brain that is the center of our fight or flight responses and which experts claim our reactions to things going on in our environment.
Quality sleep is most important for energy production. When we get enough sleep, we get up fresh and rested, or exhausted after a poor night of sleep. As a result of insomnia, the body weakens, and immunity decreases, which leads to a poor overall health picture of the body.
Try Coloring to Get Better Sleep
- The best way to improve your sleep quality with this activity is to practice it before bedtime — color for at least 15 to 30 minutes before going to bed.
- You will achieve the best effect if coloring becomes part of your daily routine and self-care.
- Everyone needs to spend some time engaging in self-care during the day because it is vital for establishing mental balance. Spend that time on useful activities that can help us nourish your body and soul.
- The most significant benefits of coloring are reducing stress and anxiety, anger and fear, and boosting brain/mind stimulation.
- We can compare the various effects of coloring with the results of meditation. You can improve focus and nourish your soul.
- When the body is relaxed, and the mind is free of running thoughts, the body falls into sleep more easily and naturally.